Being able to acquire your target quickly can make a world of difference in any situation and could be the difference between life and death in some. Rapid target acquisition is the goal with any reflex sight. The EOTech XPS3-0 Holographic Weapon Sight was designed to meet that demand with a durable and versatile unit. You will have to pay for its quality.
It is the most compact sight available for rifles, carbines, and shotguns. It is lightweight and takes up very little space on the rail of your weapon. You will hardly know it is there until you need it. Though this sight is compact, its technology is not. Its clear lens is the only one of its class, making target acquisition and accuracy even better.
Worth The Investment?
Compared to other sights in its class, the XPS3-0 Holographic Weapon Sight is a little overpriced. It isn’t that this optic necessary lacks value, but you can get many of the same features which will cost you less money. Let’s take a look at some of this sight’s features and benefits:
- Easily mounted on rifles, carbines or shotguns and requiring less than 3” of rail space.
- It will withstand the aggressive recoil of a shotgun or high caliber rifle without damaging its accuracy, even when you are shooting magnum shells.
- There aren’t many complicated aspects to this product, which makes it quick to set up, sight in and start using.
- It is a high-quality lens optic with plenty of high-end features.
However, you could pay a lot less for the same quality optic as the XPS3-0. You can get a similar, compact design, open sight for less than half the price in a Burris 300234 Fastfire III. Though the Burris doesn’t feature the clear optic, you have to question whether or not that unique feature is worth the extra investment.
EOTech XPS3-0 Specifications
The primary focus of the XPS3 Holographic sight is quick target acquisition. It is designed lightweight and less bulky. It is made of non-reflective, durable material and can survive less than favorable conditions in a rugged environment. This product is waterproof up to 33 feet of depth and is also shockproof and waterproof. Its reticle is designed for quick accuracy. This unit can also be used along with night vision equipment.
This unit is considered one of the top performers when it comes to CQB situations. It works best when the range to the target is less than 300 yards. The unique optic is another of the features of this model, but let’s take a closer look at some of its additional features and specifications.
- Clear lens coatings are anti-reflective.
- The red dot is highly visible with 20 daylight and 10-night vision brightness levels.
- This sight meets industry standard for parallax-free reflex sights.
- It has durable open sight tubeless construction.
- Wide range field of vision FOV, which aids in rapid target acquisition.
- Shockproof. This product remains accurate for the long term even when subjected to aggressive recoil.
- Waterproof. This optic can be submerged up to 33 feet without fail.
- Fogproof. Nitrogen gas anti-fog.
- The anodized, matte finish helps to reduce reflection and glare.
- It functions well between temperature extremes of 20 degrees below zero or 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dot MOA: 1 with 68 MOA circle
- Aperture: 30mm (1.17 in)
- Length: 97mm (3.78 in)
- Weight: 255g (9 oz)
- FOV: 28m @ 100m (90 ft @ 100 yd)
- Eye Relief: unlimited
- Rail: Weaver or MIL-STD 1913
The EOTech XPS3-0 is praised for being the only clear lens. Its lack of tinting means that there is less distortion, which increases accuracy and acquisition. A drawback to that is that amber coloring helps to block out blue light which has the harshest UV radiation.
Pros/Cons of the EOTech XPS3-0
Some qualities add to the value of the products you buy and other are characteristics or flaws which take away from its value or that might need to be improved upon. Here are the pros and cons of the EOTech XPS3-0:
- This sight does provide higher end optic performance.
- It is lightweight and takes up very little space on the mounting rail.
- It provides one of the best FOV ratios among reflex sights.
- It has the essential element of a reflex sight in that it is parallax free.
- It has a wide range of brightness adjustments for both daylight and night vision.
- Clear open sight allows for co-witnessed sighting and rapid target acquisition.
- Without lens tinting one has to wonder about glare on the target.
- Uses up batteries quickly.
- One has to question whether it is enough optic to fit the high amount of cash you have to put down to own it.
The EOTech XPS3-0 is not worth the investment. You can get a reflex sight with most of the same features and pay less than half as much. It is not a total bust because it is a quality optic with some impressive features and one of the best FOV ratios available. The problem you face is whether or not those features are enough to make you put down twice the amount of cash.
A solid replacement for this product which costs less than half as much is the Burris 300234 Fastfire III. The rail mounting profile is mostly the same. Its weight is less than XPS3-0. The adjustments and accuracy are equal as well as most of the significant features. The Burris also has a broad field of vision. It doesn’t make sense to make the more substantial investment in a sight that can be purchased fora smaller investment.